Saturday, February 2, 2013

Gingerbread Dog Biscuits

 
It's amazing how quickly the weeks fill up and the time passes by. I keep promising myself that I will write on this blog again, because I really do enjoy it. But somehow, another week passes and I still have not written anything. So I am starting now. This post is LONG OVERDUE, but I figure I need to start somewhere.  We've been back in New England for almost 6 months now. We made it through the holidays and through the dreaded month of January and we are moving right along through to spring :) 

But before I get too far ahead of myself, here is a simple recipe I made recently for homemade gingerbread dog biscuits. It was especially fun to make these during the holidays, and I even gave some to our doggie friends as gifts. They smelled so good I wanted to eat them myself! Stored in an airtight container they will last a couple of weeks, stored in the freezer, they will last a few months or more.  If you're looking for a cute cookie cutter to get you inspired, check out the collection at Sur La Table, such as this adorable fire hydrant!

Gingerbread Dog Biscuits

Ingredients:

3 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup molasses
2 tablespoons honey
Carob or Yogurt Drops for drizzling & decorating

Directions:
1. Get two large bowls. In one bowl combine 3/4 cup water, olive oil, molasses, and honey. In the second bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves, and finely chopped ginger.
2. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix until all are combined. Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of water until the mixture forms a dough. Discard remaining water.
3. Divide dough into two, wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 3.5 hours. 
4. Once chilled, remove dough from refrigerator and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a flat baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Use a favorite cookie cutter to cut out biscuits. Place on a flat tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Place on a baking rack to cool and drizzle with melted carob if desired.
7. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment